Thursday, July 14, 2011

fotos of the fourth

Before too much time passes, I wanted to post some photographs I took on the fourth of July. My wife and I spent the day with family, relaxing by the pool, and grilling out. We ended the day by watching fireworks at Kollens Park.


    Ernie Surfing.



 In order to photograph the fireworks, I first mounted my camera on a tripod (which proved difficult because my tripod broke during the night).


The main thing in trying to capture images of fireworks is the shutter speed. I left the shutter open from anywhere between 4 seconds to 5 minutes. I suggest using either a short timer or a cable release (shutter remote) when taking photos with longer exposures as a way to eliminate camera shake from pressing the shutter.


 However, a timer doesn't work on the bulb setting (anything over 30 seconds on my camera), and I don't as of yet have a cable release. So I had to sit there holding the shutter open for the 5 minute exposure trying to hold as still as possible. Consequently, I intend on investing in a cable release in the near future.


  For a  more detailed explanation of taking photos of fireworks, click here.  Where this website suggests using a low ISO, I used a higher ISO, which resulted in more grain in the pictures. I plan on trying a lower ISO the next time around.



Still for my first attempt at photographing fireworks, I was satisfied with the results. Overall, it was an enjoyable and relaxing long weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice job! I like the one above "however..." and the last one the best of the fireworks photos. How did you get that clear of a shot of the light on the bottom of the pool?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one above "however" was one of the longer exposures, possibly the 5 minute exposure. Definitely would have been nice to have a shutter remote. The last photo is of the Finale. The one of the light and the pool is actually the surface of the water, not the bottom of the pool. And I did nothing out of the ordinary. Just point and shoot.

    ReplyDelete